How to obtain a Driving License in UAE?
Once you get your UAE Resident Visa and decide to get UAE Driving license, you need either to get a brand new license or convert an existing one into a UAE Driving permit. There are two possible scenarios, an "Easy" one and a "Big deal".
Let's talk first about "Easy" scenario. RTA (Roads and Transport Authority). These countries are: Austria, Belgium, Spain, Germany, France, Ireland, Norway, Holland, Italy, Sweden, Turkey, Greece, Switzerland, Denmark, United Kingdom, Poland, Romania, Finland, Portugal, GCC countries, South Africa, Canada , USA, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, New Zealand and Australia.
The process will take you approximately one hour, but in advance you need to make an eye-test. You are able to do it at any optician's inside the majority of mall or clinic.
Here is a list of required documents:
- Copy of passport and copy of UAE Resident Visa
- Emirates ID copy
- Eye-test Certificate
- Copy of your Home Country Driving License
- 2 passport photos
300-400 AED will be required for this process.
The conversion should be done at any RTA branch, but only in the Emirate where your Resident Visa was issued.
If you do not have a valid driving license, but you are from a country, which is excluded from the list of above, you have to go through the full procedure of studying traffic rules and learning to drive. In that case you will have to go to any Driving School. They will handle paperwork with RTA and will open your file.
You have to provide the following documents:
- Original passport, copy of Emirates ID and Valid UAE Visa
- NOC from your sponsor
- 8 passport size photos
- Eye-test Certificate
Students who did not have a driving license before will have to take 40 classes. If you already have a valid Driving License from the country of your origin, but it is less than 2 years old, you will have to take 40 classes, 2-5 years licenses require - 30 classes, more than 5 years license holders- 20 classes.
The Driving License will cost you approximately 4,600 AED. This amount includes all tests fees, paperwork, practical classes. You can pay this amount by installments. Each driving school has its own prices and payment conditions. You must pass the following tests: RTA knowledge test, RTA parking test, Assessment test, RTA road test.
After you pass the final road test, you will get an approval. If not, you are required to take 8 more classes and book your final road test again. This cycle can be repeated any number of times, but each one will cost you extra 800 AED.
Interesting to know:
- UAE driving license is valid for 10 years, then you need to renew it.
- In 2015 RTA endorsed 7 new languages for theory knowledge test: Hindi, Russian, Persian, Chinese, Bengali, Tamil, Malayalam.
- Theory consists of 8 topics, and you can take a test on all of them in one day to save your time.
- Prices for obtaining a UAE Driving License can be different in all 7 Emirates. It is known that obtaining a license, in Umm Al Quwain will be cheaper than in Dubai. You always need to apply for a Driving License in the Emirate where your Resident visa was issued.
- There is a "Pick up and Drop off" service, which can help you to save money for transportation to your Driving School.
- Passing of the final road test depends on many different factors.
When you finally get your driving license you will be able to enjoy all the benefits of driving in UAE.
Wish you a good luck in getting your Driving License in UAE! Drive safe!
Article written by, Anna Soloviova
Our dedicated managers will be happy to support you on this matter. Feel free to Contact Us if you have any further inquiries.